Several families from the downtown Montreal Brethren assembly on St. Antoine St. migrate east to Rosemount, finding employment in local railway and shipyards.
July 1929: A tent is pitched on a vacant lot and many children come to hear stories about Jesus. Several people are saved and baptized.
September 1929: With support from their home assembly, the believers launch a new assembly, renting facilities in Rosemount, with 25 adults and their children meeting for Sunday School and Breaking of Bread. Ebenezer Gospel Hall is born.
1935: Archie and Maud Nielson become Ebenezer’s first overseas missionaries. Children’s meeting with “lantern slides” led by George Dixon become a major outreach over many years.
1942: James Penman is appointed the first civil pastor of Ebenezer, serving until 1945.
Spring 1953: Tony Lite spearheads the building project and two lots on 13th Avenue are purchased at $1000 apiece. A groundbreaking service for the new building is conducted for what is now to be called Ebenezer Gospel Chapel.
1960s: An extended preaching visit by Welshman W.E. Davies leads to spiritual renewal and growth at Ebenezer. Again, the facilities are inadequate.
Programs and organizations such as Christian Service Brigade, Pioneer Girls, Frontier Lodge, YFC, and IVCF influence many children and young people for Christ.
1966: Jack Dawson pilots the addition of a Christian education wing at Ebenezer, along with an attached apartment for visiting missionaries or preachers.
1970: The focus on outreach continues with participation at the World Missions’ Congress.
Welcome Hall Mission, Grace Dart Hospital visitation, and prison ministry compliment outreach being done via Gym Night, Young Peoples, and Youth Conference. The Road to Emmaus, a musicale directed by Ken Bresnen, challenges the spiritual commitment of many college students as the bring the Easter message to the prisons and schools.
1980’s: Renovations begin and the unfinished basement below the new wing becomes The Open Door Coffee House, facilitating a Friday night musical outreach ministry.
As the population begins to migrate to other parts of the city, Home Bible Studies are established to provide pastoral care and spiritual growth opportunities to participants.
Robert and Carolyn Thrall launch a ministry to seniors around the Rosemount area. A dozen more members become missionaries, and camp involvement extends to Parkside Ranch.
As a result of a congregational survey in the late 1980s, many changes occur. Ebenezer Gospel Chapel becomes Rosemount Bible Church (RBC), a Women’s Council is formed, contemporary worship blends with traditional, and the building undergoes more renovations.
1990’s: ALPHA, an introductory course on Christianity is offered; Pioneers, Challengers, and Breakaways – Friday night programs for children and youth aged 4-17 are introduced.
A significant spiritual harvest is reaped in the Italian community, strengthening the believers at RBC. The Family Bible Hour service accommodates 250-300 people with the help of a video feed to the Fellowship Hall.
Moving by faith, a Building Fund is established, as evidenced by the fact that RBC will soon outgrow its facilities, again!
2000-2004: A focus on missions results in many RBC young people attending Urbana and Niagara Youth Conferences.
The Evangelism Explosion course brings renewed vigor to the cause of sharing the gospel in Montreal.
Dual Services are introduced to accommodate RBC’s growing population (300-350 on Sundays) until new premises are found.
RBC rejoices as more people come to know Christ and are baptized. The elders charge themselves and the congregation anew with the vision to “Go and make fully committed followers of Jesus Christ of all people groups starting in our Montreal communities.”
2005-2006: After four years of Dual Services, the elders’ team makes the decision to return to single services in order to strengthen and build on its sense of community; and to provide better opportunities to teach and equip younger leaders. All the while, the search for a new and larger building continues.
In an historic decision, RBC hires Phil Hainaut as a full-time elder and Director of Pastoral Care, to help meet the growing pastoral needs of the congregation. (Visit www.rbc.qc.ca/elders.htm for more information on Phil.)
RBC continues to grow and change, welcoming the nations to the door with new families and individuals arriving from Africa, the Ukraine, China, and South America.
2007: Phil Hainaut’s role evolves as a result of his work in different ministry areas at RBC and the elders announce the change in his title to Staff Elder.
In March, RBC updates its logo & mission Statement to reflect the vision presented by the elders at the Annual General Meeting in February 2007. The expanded Mission Statement more closely aligns the mission and vision for RBC. Adding our web site address to the RBC logo reflects the increasing importance of the Internet as a tool in helping people to find us.
“Go and make fully committed followers of Jesus Christ of all people groups starting in our Montreal communities, through worshipping, praying, teaching caring, serving and witnessing.”
2009: RBC celebrates its 80th anniversary. Over Thanksgiving weekend, many RBC alumni come back to Montreal to help celebrate and give thanks for God’s faithfulness.
To read the full-length version of this text, click here.